REAL ESTATE NEWS
Brought to you by Todd and Danell Stevens
Becoming a Home Maintenance Pro: Tips for Homeowners
By Dixie Somers
Many homeowners don't think about home maintenance until something breaks, but that's not the best way to take care of your home. Whether you’re a new homeowner or have been settled for years, it’s never too late to cultivate some home maintenance habits. Here are three tips to help you protect your investment and keep your property in good shape for years to come:
Create and Follow a Home Maintenance Schedule
A good place to start is by following a home maintenance schedule. Just as your car needs to have an oil change, your home and yard will need some regular maintenance. Home maintenance schedule apps such as HomeZada and Centriq are an easy way to get yourself on track.
You'll need to mow your lawn, clean your gutters and perhaps even top your trees from time to time. For pest control, you may need to spray or have ground treatment performed a few times a year, too. When it comes to appliances, make sure to send in any warranties and follow the maintenance recommendations in your owner’s manual. For older appliances, many documents can be found online.
Don't be afraid to do some research and speak with professionals about maintenance specific to your location.
Have All of Your Home Systems Checked Regularly
It's important to get your electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems checked annually to keep them in good shape. Some of these tasks can be done yourself; for instance, you might need to clean your air filters, remove debris from the vents and flush out your water heater.
For more technical inspections, check customer reviews on Yelp, Angie's List, Google, Facebook and the BBB when searching for a new company. Always go with one that is experienced, licensed, bonded and insured.
Follow a Cleaning Schedule
Home maintenance often focuses on repair work, but keeping your home clean can be just as important. In addition to once a week tasks such as vacuuming and dusting the shelves, deep cleaning every month or so can save you big in the long run. Moving furniture around, pulling out the washer and dryer to clean behind them and clearing out the garage gives you a chance to inspect for pest problems, water damage and similar issues that can quickly escalate into expensive repairs.
Being a homeowner is very rewarding on many levels, but homeownership comes with a great deal of responsibility. As long as you put in some effort on a regular basis, you should have no problem keeping your home in good repair.
Top 10 Homebuyer Wish List in 2019
Top 10 Home Buyer List in 2019
Home design trends have really changed over the past decade. As the New Year’s selling season gets under way, home buyers are putting their wish lists together. This year we expect to see a continuation of many of the design trends of the past few years but also some refreshing new concepts. Top 10 Wish List Elements for 2019
1. Open Floorplans – Spacious rooms which lead seamlessly through the living spaces.
2. Smaller Homes – The Tiny House trend has created a desire for compact homes which offer usable space without the heavy investment.
3. Indoor/Outdoor Lifestyle – Home buyers are looking for ways to use their yards as additional living space.
4. Natural Materials – Natural woods, stone, raffia and other natural elements are making their way into the modern home.
5. Modern Kitchens – Gone are black granite countertops and replacing them are cool whites, clean lines and smart appliances.
6. Green Design – Energy saving homes, windows and appliances are very popular for 2019.
7. Smart Homes – Smart appliances, plugs, entries, security and much more are becoming a must-have.
8. Storage – Walk-in closets, garage storage and kitchen cabinets are still important elements.
9. Spa Bathrooms – Home buyers want bathrooms which offer relaxation with graceful design and warm lighting.
10. Multi-Use Rooms – From media rooms to home gyms, multi-use rooms are a popular feature for home buyers in 2019.
Thank you for all your support in 2018. We finished off the year selling 25 homes and could not have done it without all your support and referrals! We hope your start to 2019 has been amazing! If you have any real estate needs or know of anyone who does please don't hesitate to reach out. We would be happy to help!